Monday, May 10, 2010

Culminating Acitivity

1. In general, I can say that I have somewhat eased my stance on the irrelevance of testing. In particular, I feel that the Dibels assessment gave a semi-useful reflections of student capabilities. I would say that my assessment principles and practicies are now unified and support each other following this course. Following the QRI-4 assessment, I felt like too many external variables can factor into a student's score. I didn't get the feeling that the assessment was strictly testing the child's cognitive abilities. The Dibels assessment gave me a different perspective on things. Do I still feel like there are too many assessments being administered? Yes, but I can now see the relevance for some of them.

2. The article in which we had to answer general questions about our reading practices was very interesting to me. Being able to take the assessment myself was extremely beneficial. It allowed me to measure the assessment's validity. I would have to say that practicing the QRI4 and the Dibels assessments gave me a base example for areas that I can improve upon. Again, the hands-on experience in administering the assessments allowed me to generate ideas for how I would improve each assessment, or if I would administer them at all in a given scenario.

3. My main goals are to be able to properly observe my students so that I may know which assessments would best benefit them. With that information I would also be able place them in the best position to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment